These days charcoal has been seen in food supplements, powders and even in toothpaste.
The ‘detox’ trend has welcomed activated charcoal, especially to those who suffer with gut issues.
What is activated charcoal?
Activated charcoal is charcoal that has been treated with oxygen at very high temperatures to make it more porous. This results in a fine black powder, which can be converted as a supplement product or a powder form.
How does activated charcoal work?
As the activated charcoal is formed using high temperatures it enables it to develop microscopic holes which increases its overall surface area.
The porous texture has a negative electrical charge, which causes it to attract positively charged molecules, such as toxins and gases. When liquid or gases pass through this activated charcoal, they bind to it through a process known as adsorption. These toxins get trapped in your gut and are eliminated.
- Very effective at adsorbing gases which can help reduce flatulence.
- Promote kidney function by reducing the number of waste products that your kidneys must filter.
- Help reduce cholesterol levels.
- Help teeth whitening, by absorbing plaque and other teeth-staining compounds.
- Useful to treat hangovers
**Check out our Daily Dose Black Lemonade, packed full of activated charcoal!