There’s nothing quite like the shedding of the darker cold days of winter, and the relief of the longer hours of sunlight, daffodils, and long evening walks.
A spring cleanse can optimise this time, and in my view is the best time to adopt a little detox. It can be a simple way of ‘lightening’ the load and introduce some more colour in your diet and help balance out hormones, release toxins and kickstart your metabolism, coming out of the winter months.
Symptoms that indicate it’s your time for a spring cleanse:
- Slow metabolism
- Acne, eczema, or skin rashes
Tips to kickstart your cleanse:
- Cut back on heavier foods, shift from the heaviness of rich root vegetable and move towards summer with lighter, high-water content of spring produce. Choose seasonal veggies and ideally make simple vegetable soups, salads and stir fries.
- Soak up the vitamin D, enjoy the outdoors and make sure to take long walks and soak up some fresh spring air, bring a Daily Dose with you!
- Drink at least 2-3 litres of filtered water per day to clear water-soluble toxins, herbal teas are also a great option to mix things up.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine during your cleanse, both of which produce additional stress on your liver and can affect your hormones - try a hot shot instead!
- Encourage the natural drainage of the lymph, by relieving swelling and lymph fluids around the body and face. Buying a Body Brush or a Gua Sha can be a nice natural alternative to stimulate microcirculation, reducing inflammation and promote healing. Body Brushing is another technique used to encourage lymph node drainage while also exfoliating. Need a quick fix, run yourself a bath with Magnesium flakes or Epson bath salts!
- Enjoy at least 7-8 hours of sleep per night, so that your body has adequate time for cellular renewal and repair.
- Spring cleanse isn’t just for your body, but for your mind. Spring cleaning your home and getting some things done that have been sat on the bottom of your to do list for a while, now is the time.